Well folks - it's Valentine's Day (gag me)... So whether you're spending it alone or with that special someone (I'm spending mine with my lovely roommate!) you might as well have a nice dinner to cap it off. The slowly caramelized onions in this dish develop an amazing level of sweetness and complexity that is unparalleled. Plus it even has wine! A little booze goes a long way to make your V-day go a bit smoother. So grab the day's dinner by the balls and fill your stomach (and maybe that of someone else) with something delicious in honor of the chubby baby that goes around shooting people in the name of l-o-v-e.
- Drizzle the chicken breasts with olive oil.
- Season with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Toss to coat and set aside until the onions are almost done.
- Once the onions are almost ready to go, sear the chicken in a hot skillet.
- For two chicken breasts I used 2 LARGE onions cut into slices.
- Sweat the onions in a saute pan vvveeeeerrrrryyyyy sssssllllloooowwwwllllyyyyyy in a couple tablespoons of butter. Season with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- After about 30 minutes (I'm serious it takes that long), deglaze with 1 cup of red wine and a few swirls of balsamic vinegar. It should then look something like this:
Lastly, add the chicken fresh from its own saute pan to the onions so that it finishes in the sauce and picks up some of its flavor.
Let's raise a glass in the name of love and I wish you a Happy Valentine's Day from my heart to yours... Enjoy!