Happy National Tequila Day! While interning at a food magazine I have become aware of most (if not all) of the random food "holidays" that take place throughout the year. When I found out what today was then I knew immediately that I had to partake in the festivities. I had been planning to make this drink for the Marx Foods Fire on Ice Chile Recipe Contest anyway, so it seemed like today just had to be the day to create and post this recipe.
One fun fact I've learned over the years is that tequila is often the adult beverage of choice for those with gluten intolerance because it is one of the few liquors that is guaranteed to be safe to drink. Although there are also brands of vodka and other non-grain alcohols that exist, one of my friends in particular is infamous for her drink order of tequila with pineapple juice. It's definitely a double-edged sword to have everyone automatically know what one's drink order is, but she (usually) manages to get by just fine. In any event, she can always pawn it off onto some other thirsty soul that might later find themselves hunched over waiting for a bus back to NYC after an impromptu weekend trip to Boston (I'm not naming any names...).
Below is a beverage worthy of being added to anyone's reportoire—my spin on a fairly simple margarita with a little extra kick added by the use of two different dried chiles.
Pequin Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- juice of 4 limes
- 10 dried pequin chiles, crushed
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil; remove from heat.
- Let steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain out peppers and reserve.
- 1 cup kosher salt
- zest of 4 limes
- 1 dried guajillo chile, roughly chopped
- Place all ingredients in a food processor.
- Blend until well combined.
Pequin Margarita with Guajillo-Lime Salt:
- 1 lime wedge
- guajillo-lime salt
- 1 part pequin simple syrup
- 3 parts silver tequila
- Rub lime wedge along rim of glass.
- Dip glass in salt mixture to coat edge.
- Add ice cubes.
- In a cocktail shaker with ice, add simple syrup and tequila; shake.
- Pour drink into glass and garnish with lime wedge.
Cheers! Remember to always drink responsibly.