Oatmeal, as I’ve said a few times before, is one of my favorite breakfasts. This slow cooker version is great because it can literally cook while you sleep and you can wake up with breakfast ready to go. How cool is that?
Steel cut oats are used because they’re heartier and will retain their texture. The oatmeal is simply flavored with frozen fruit, brown sugar, and a bit of cardamom to give it a nice warmth and depth.
The great part about this recipe is that aside from the ratio of liquids to steel cut oats you can personalize it to come up with your own custom creation. For example, instead of cardamom you might want to flavor it with cinnamon, allspice, or nutmeg. Don’t like blueberries? A bag of frozen strawberries or peaches would also be nice. (You could probably use your favorite fresh fruit, too!) You can even make it vegan by swapping out the heavy cream for a nut milk or even just extra water. The possibilities are endless to make this your own.
One last tip is that you can throw in some of your leftover grains, such as farro or barley, if you wanted to find a way to clean out your cupboard.
What’s your favorite oatmeal combination?
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- One 8-ounce bag frozen blueberries
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Assorted toppings (i.e. fresh blueberries, coconut flakes, sliced almonds and honey), for serving
- Place all of the ingredients in the bowl of a slow cooker and give it a good stir; cover with the lid and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours (or high for 4 to 5 hours).
- Divide among bowls and serve with the toppings of your choosing.